Often in the new year we feel compelled to make changes to achieve certain goals- some drastic and some not so much. More often than not our goals are centred around making healthier food choices, exercising more or achieving a certain goal weight. The reason most of us have these goals every year and haven't achieved them in previous years is because the changes made to reach these goals are drastic, overwhelming and perhaps not realistic. A sure way to achieve your goal is to implement simple daily habits (mini-goals) that will help you achieve your BIG goal.
Here are 10 healthy changes to make that will help you achieve your BIG goal:
1. Hydrate. It sounds simple but drinking water is important for your health. Carry a bottle with you or set a reminder on your phone to drink a glass of water every 2 hrs.
2. Write done 3 things you are grateful for every day. Feeling a sense of gratitude will help you stay positive.
3. Be kind to yourself. Some days will be tougher than others and it's ok to have a rest day, sweet treat or that extra glass of wine - it really is.
4. Have a nourishing breakfast. Starting the day with breakfast stabilises the blood sugar levels and prevents you from overeating later on in the day due to starvation
5. Message someone you love every day. Whether its sending a message or spending time with someone you love, feeling connected, supported and loved is important for you emotionally, mentally and physically.
6. Make healthy food swaps but avoid removing a food group. Having a balance of carbs, protein and fats at every meal is important. When one food group is removed your body will feel deprived and will start to crave other foods.
7. Make your bed every morning. It is believed making your bed every morning increases productivity throughout the day as it helps you feel organised.
8. Get a nutrition boost! Feel like your diet could use a boost. Book a Nutrition Consult with me. It is pointless exercising more and eating well if you haven't addressed hormonal or gut issues which could be preventing you from losing weight.
9. Get creative. Do one thing a day or week that makes your heart happy. Whether it's writing, painting, singing, dancing, trying out a new recipe.
10. Move your body. Choose a form of exercise that works for you whether it's hiking, boxing, pilates, yoga, swimming, dancing etc. During the month you may feel drawn to slower forms of exercise which aren't so intense. Trust your body.